Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Today It Begins

I ride Muni every day from the Castro to Montgomery Street. Most days, it's fine. I get on, I read, I get off. A pretty good deal for a buck fifty. (Less with my Muni pass.)

Some days it's not fine. Some days it's a mystifying journey into ineptitude, and I've just got to vent. Like today. I arrive at the platform in the Castro. A garbled message comes over the p.a. That rare bird, the Castro Shuttle, approaches. It doesn't arrive on the inbound platform as usual, but rather stops on the outbound side.

My fellow commuters and I steal nervous glances at each other. None of us has ever seen this. The driver makes her way to the back end of the car. (The one facing inbound.) She glances at all the confused passengers on the inbound platform. She sits in the driver's seat and surveys the crowd one more time. And THEN SHE HEADS INBOUND WITH HER EMPTY CASTRO SHUTTLE.

How hard would it be for her to step onto the platform and call out to the crowd, "Hey, come over here. I'm headed back in." ?

Maybe the guy who sits in the booth upstairs could have said something.

Nope.

A single-car T came along. My neighbors and I crowded on. We get to work.

Muni talks a lot about all the money it needs to improve service. Courtesy and common sense cost nothing.

Today's Stats:
Wait time: About 5 minutes (including watching the empty Castro Shuttle come and go).
Muni Reading: Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama
Irritiation level: Mild. A "but still" day.

Until tomorrow.

No comments: