Thursday, September 13, 2007

Does Prayer Make a Difference?

This morning's ride falls under the "most of the time Muni is fine" category. The only problem was that I forgot my book. This gave me the opportunity to observe my fellow passengers, and to consider whether prayer makes a difference.

Praying Lady had her eyes closed and her hands clasped the entire ride. Is that why Muni worked so well today? As my mother used to says, "It can't hurt, for chrissakes."

Blonde Cathy Griffin looked exactly like the real Cathy, but blonde. She caught me staring, but didn't seem bothered. It must happen to her all the time.

Kid with iPod listening to Steve Vai. I am surprised that kids still listen to Steve Vai.

I wasn't the only one who was fascinated by Make-up Applier as she studiously applied mascara to each individual lash, never once slashing the black across her face as the train lurched through the tunnel. How did she do it?

Today's Stats:
Wait time: About 6 minutes.
Ride time: 15 minutes.
Muni Reading: Argh. I left my book at home. Didn't even have an old New Yorker in my bag.
Irritiation level: None. All is well. Thank you Praying Lady.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Personal grooming in public has often fascinated (and even irritated) me. Still, applying makeup is not nearly as irksome nail-clipping. It's not only the sound, but also the detritus that gets left behind when the violating passenger disembarks.