Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Three Kinds of City Kids

As Muni continues to exceed expectations by running on schedule, I have time to share more Muni ruminations.

I was hosted for cocktails recently by friends-of-friends. Once we were finished discussing real estate (they own, we rent), talk turned to schools and I revealed that my son rides Muni to and from school each day.

"That's the bus, right?" Mrs. X asked.

"Well there's the bus and the subway," I told her. "He rides the subway."

"Aren't you afraid he'll forget his stop and ride all the way to Concord?" she asked.

It was revealed that the child of Mr. & Mrs. X had never been on Muni, even with his parents. He gets a ride everywhere with either his mom or his babysitter or some other kid's mom.

This contributed to my theory of Three Kinds of City Kids.

1. The kind who never ride on Muni. They will be getting rides until they get a car.

2. The kind who ride Muni to get where they need to go. They know their 38L from their 1BX. They probably started with short little rides and now can get from the beach to the ball park for 50 cents.

3. They're just like the second kind, but very, very loud, and they swear a lot. Whenever they start to piss me off, I think about the first kind of City Kid, and I think that at least these loud, swearing, sweaty kids are independent. And they're expert cursers. I wonder if Little X knows how to use the f-word in the subjunctive. The kid who sat behind me on the inbound L this morning did. And I admired him.

Today's Stats:
Wait time: Under 2 minutes.
Ride time: 15 minutes.
Muni Reading: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - almost done.
Irritiation level: Goodwill, even for the the little f---er who sat behind me swearing in my ear.

No comments: