Monday, October 15, 2007

Catching Up

So it turned out that last week's meltdown was due to a power line that fell down in the tunnel. The Muni spokesowman in this article apologized profusely, blah blah blah. Nice sentiment. The thing that really got me though, was this detail: "Metro service was interrupted around 7 a.m."

When I got to the train at a little after 8 a.m., the station agent shrugged and muttered something about slow trains. By 8 a.m., I had already listened to three different morning radio stations, all of which updated me on weather, traffic, local news and sports. If Muni knew at 7 a.m. that 30,000 people where going to be affected by this power line, why the hell didn't they alert the media. A simple message on the radio could divert at least some of those people onto buses, or taxis, or encourage them to walk. It would be proactive. It would be informative. It would stop people from begin pissed off and put out.

Maybe Muni could consider allowing people to sign up for text alerts. That would be a great leap forward that COSTS NEXT TO NOTHING.

Anyway, on to today. For a Monday, the ride was very smooth. But for the second time in as many days (I rode the N on Sunday), the air conditioning was at full blast. I felt like I was riding in the refrigerator car. I guess it woke me up.

Today's Stats:
Wait time: 1 minute
Ride time: 12 minutes
Muni Reading: Some Fun, a short story collection by Antonya Nelson. Really good stories, but a bit grim. I will never live in El Paso.
Irritation level: Low. Chilly.

No comments: